Responsible for all back-of-house (BOH) operations, excluding actual food production, and ordering and overseeing all beverage ordering. Must independently manage his/her department efficiently and cost-effectively. Must work closely with executive chef to promote company mission, culture and philosophy.
- Three to four years of experience managing a stewarding department or equivalent in similar business.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- New York State Food Handler’s Certification or related food safety training knowledge preferred.
- Technical knowledge, with the ability to operate, repair and maintain BOH equipment.
- Strong attention to detail to ensure that company standards of quality are maintained.
- Ability to effectively solve problems.
- Knowledge of Excel and Word is required.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff in both English and Spanish languages.
- Ability to communicate effectively with associates, management, clients and vendors if necessary.
- Ablity to work flexible schedule to accommodate business levels.
- Hire, coach, counsel and conduct performance evaluations of staff.
- Develop, train and mentor staff and act as a resource to them.
- Recommend or conduct disciplinary action, including termination of stewarding team as necessary according to company standards.
- Monitor staffing levels to minimize cost and increase productivity. Recommend staffing needs according to business levels.
- Create weekly labor schedules for warewashers and stewards, maintaining labor costs and budgets.
- Conduct monthly departmental meetings.
- Implement, maintain and monitor department standard operating procedures and develop new as needed.
- Oversee set-up, breakdown and maintenance of associate cafeteria.
- Open and close BOH (when necessary).
- Responsible for the organization, cleaning, sanitation standards and consistent maintenance of all BOH areas, including kitchen, satellite pantries, storage areas, loading dock and parking lot.
- Responsible for managing all kitchen equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Order off-site equipment as necessary, following proper purchasing standards.
- Requisition BOH and FOH equipment for events; work closely with event managers to ensure standards are being followed before, during and after events.
- Responsible for outside service contracts/contacts kitchen equipment, ansel inspection, hood cleaning, fire extinguishers, grease traps, etc.
- Maintenance, cleanliness, sanitation and upkeep of all BOH storage areas.
- Manage efficient flow of activity in the kitchen during production and during events.
|Purchasing / Receiving|
- Big 4 and buffet table top equipment: Maintenance, inventories and purchase needs.
- Responsible for direct operating costs for Big 4, cleaning, paper supplies and BOH linen, in addition to maintenance and repairs.
- Oversee and implement proper receiving procedures for direct operating supplies and table top.
- Inventory, purchasing and storage of paper and cleaning supplies.
- Inventory, ordering and storage of all BOH linen.
|Health and Safety|
- Ensure proper kitchen sanitation is maintained according to company and health standards.
- Implement and maintain NY Department of Health requirements and ordinances.
- Create, update and maintain full material safety data sheet (MSDS) book. Conduct training as necessary.
- Travel as necessary to different locations on and off premises.
- Perform all reasonable requests from the management team.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled meetings and training sessions.
- Know and follow all company emergency and safety procedures.
- Direct associates in completion of tasks as designated by assignment sheets and/or needs.
- Always practice company culture.
- Protect assets of the property.
- Maintain professional appearance and behavior when in contact with guests and associates.
- Follow policies and procedures in training manuals and associate handbook.
- Always remember we are in a partnership with our guests, fellow associates and owners to provide quality service and profitability.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the company standards, which may be revised from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position.