Director of Catering
To achieve hotel and catering revenue, profit and customer satisfaction goals by overseeing banquet operations
- Associate team
- Management Team
- The local community
|Indicators of Success|
- Achievement of customer satisfaction and loyalty goals
- Achievement of revenue and profit goals for catering operation
- Achievement of employee satisfaction and retention goals
- Achievement of the hotel’s financial goals
|Areas of Responsibility|
- To develop and implement business strategies for food and beverage operations that are aligned with company’s overall mission, vision values and strategies
- Participate in the development of the hotel’s business strategies
- Develop and implement strategies for banquet operations that support achievement of the hotel’s goals
- Monitor status regularly and adjusts strategies as appropriate
- Develop the annual budget in conjunction with the controller and general manager
- Create an environment for employees that is aligned with the company culture through constant communication and reinforcement
- Deliver the company experience for guests and employees
- Communicate and reinforce the service vision for the hotel to supervisors and employees
- Create an environment at the hotel designed to stimulate all senses through personal services, amenities and experiences provided by employees
- Ensure that the hotel delivers the company experience by reviewing hotel operations from the customer’s perspective as well as from a business perspective
- Recruit and select the employees needed to provide the company experience
- Keep current on pulse of the guests, constantly seeking opportunities to follow up on their experience
- Provide employees with the tools and environment they need to deliver the company experience
- Develop and implement strategies and practices that support employee engagement
- Create the company experience for guests at banquet functions
- Coordinate the set-up of each function by verifying desired services and menu in advance with catering and sales
- Synchronize the timing of the function by verifying details with executive chef
- Confirm details of function with client contact; asks for last-minute changes
- Direct the set-up of the function; ensures that all equipment works
- Schedule employees in accordance with the staffing requirements of each function; communicates details of function to employees
- Manage the food and beverage service provided during banquets and meetings
- Inspect banquet rooms on an ongoing basis and takes appropriate steps to ensure facilities meet or exceed company standards at all times
- Manage the operation of the banquet services department
- Maintain inventory of banquet equipment and supplies
- Prepare budget; monitors actual versus budgeted expenses and takes corrective action as appropriate
- Maintain supply of audio visual equipment (or source for renting equipment)
- Focus on the customer: Seek to understand the internal/external customer and meet the needs of both the customer and company.
- Build strong relationships: Foster trust and cooperation among coworkers, customers, and suppliers; develop and sustain personal contact in order to provide mutual benefit.
- Take responsibility: Demonstrate personal ownership of tasks and follow through to get the required results.
- Attend to detail: Ensure that data is accurate and work is thorough, meeting the highest standards.
- Foster teamwork: Work well in a team environment and motivate teams to sustain the needs of both the customer and the company.
- Improve continuously: Constantly assess and adapt current practices to perform a task better, faster or more efficiently.
- Share information: Provide information so that coworkers, customers and suppliers understand and can take action.
- Think critically: Take a well-ordered, logical approach to: identifying business, market, or cross-functional issues; analyzing problems; organizing work; and planning action.
|Key Skills and Requirements|
- Performance management, supervisory: Demonstrate ability to relate to, communicate with and motivate employees to sustain high performance and quality levels.
- Knowledge of budgeting process: Demonstrate knowledge of and skill in creating and maintaining budget within the department’s allowed expenditures.
- Planning: Skilled in determining whether tasks should be attempted, identifying the most effective way to complete the task, and preparing to overcome expected difficulties.
- Two or more years experience managing service staff in an upscale hotel atmosphere.
Hotel banquet manager.doc