|24 • Littleneck clams|
|1/4 cup • Bottled BBQ Sauce|
|2 tbsp • Unsalted butter|
|4 tbsp • Shallots|
|1/2 cup • Red wine vinegar|
|• Freshly ground pepper|
1. Preheat your grill to direct, high heat or heat coals until white and hot.
2. While the grill is heating, in a medium-sized bowl, mix together the shallots, red wine vinegar, butter, BBQ, pepper and salt. Set aside.
3. Shuck clams* open on the half-shell, being careful to keep as much liquid as possible.
4. Add a dollop of the reserved sauce to each clam.
5. Place the clams on the grill until the BBQ sauce mixture begins to bubble, a maximum of about 2 minutes. Remove from grill and serve with grilled slices of sourdough bread. Serves 4 as an appetizer.
* Chef Laurent Manrique’s tip: An easy way to open clams is to pop them in the microwave, three at a time, for about 11 seconds. The heat shocks the clams and they’ll open slightly making them easiest to shuck with a knife.